I’m quite a way outside of the Papercut Patterns maximum hip size of 46.5″ (close to 10″ inches away), and because I loved the coat so much I got in touch with the company to ask if they thought my measurements would work with the coat pattern. They said yes, of course, since they were trying to sell me a coat pattern and off I went.
I found a lovely wool/cashmere blend on super sale, which I decided to cut into without making a muslin. While the fabric wasn’t expensive to me, knowing the value of it makes the failure of this coat sting all the more.
The coat is ultimately too small. Something that would now be clear to me since I have a few more projects under my belt. What I loved about the oversized fit on other people, doesn’t translate to me because I am using every single additional inch of positive ease to squeeze bottom end into the coat.
I finished this coat on the 3rd of December 2017 and I’ve worn it outside of the house maybe 4 or 5 times. I took these photos in the coat recently and I think maybe I’ve finally come round. It’s not the perfect version of the Sapporo coat that I was aiming for, because it doesn’t look like the same coat on me as it does on others. It is a comfortable coat though, the fabric is lovely & warm and it has excellent pockets. I’m definitely going to try and get it out of the house more than 5 times this coming winter.
Size Details: I sewed the XL size (drafted for a 46.5″ hip) and am pictured wearing it here with a 54″ hip.