I used the Torrens Box Top pattern (in my usual size A) and simply cut the fabric down in a straight line from where the pattern piece ended. Because the top includes a generous amount of ease, I knew there’d be no need for me to grade out at the hips.
I didn’t include pockets because I was worried about the long-term performance on the silk noil from me jamming heavy things in there, but it would have been easy to draft and add some in-seam pockets in!
Trin from A+R Fabrics kindly sent this mirren blue silk noil my way (I believe this blue and the moss green are the two newest colours that she’s started to stock in her silk noil range).
Silk noil is great to sew with! Because of the lovely texture, it’s not at all slippery, and I almost never pinned the seams before I sewed them (except the neckline)! Since it’s a natural fibre, it’s lovely to wear and will work for winter & summer.
Fabric Usage & Size Details: The silk noil is 110cm wide and I’d say that I could have cut this dress with about 2.5 metres and still had a small amount left over (I cut on the open, rather than with my fabric folded). I used the Size A for the Torrens and I’m a 47″ bust and 54~” hip, but I had plenty of room at the hips without grading up.
Stylearc’s Eme Dress is touted as the roundneck sister dress to their popular Adeline Dress (which I’ve made so many versions of)! Stylearc sent me a copy of the Eme multi-size printed pattern, but quite ironically I thought I’d sew a straight size 22 and I don’t think I’ll bother grading for my (inevitable) next version of this dress.
The illustration does a better job of highlighting the cocoon nature of the dress and also shows the 4 darts at the hem which give the dress the shaping. While I often find Stylearc instructions to be incredibly brief and also frequently confusing, I’m pretty sure these instructions were the strangest ones I’ve dealt with yet. It wasn’t a huge problem because there was nothing particularly unusual about the construction of the dress, but I’m pretty certain they never actually told me to sew the bodice to the skirt. Fortunately, I worked that necessary step out myself. I also managed to attach the sleeve facing (although I’m not 100% certain it was how they intended I should attach them).
Also, I skipped adding the inseam pockets.
This fabric is a kind of sandwashed tencel from Harald’s Warehouse, which I visited for the first time over the weekend. The store had some real treasures that aren’t so commonly found including quite a lot of tencel, wool gabardine, and So Much More. Although the pictures look a bit like a struggles with the tencel puckering, the tencel was in fact a dream to sew and what looks like puckering is actually just scrunching in various places.
Size Details: According to the StyleArc size chart my various bits range between their size 22 at the bust, through to size 26 at the hips. Since I had success with their Adeline dress in a straight size 22, no grading, I also made the Eme in size 22. This still gave the ‘sack’ look I was after, but avoided me needing to grade.
My verdict- stay tuned for more of these dresses. Maybe with some patch pockets added.
There were so many amazing versions of this on the internet, but in order to fully recreate I probably should do a FBA, but there’s so many bits to adjust that I probably never will.
Originally, I couldn’t wear the dress at all because the serging/overlocking thread made me so itchy! Fortunately, the scratchiness has died down, and I no longer notice any itchy feelings at all.
I omitted the back zip and reduces the height of the front neckline by
quite a bit. I forgot to account for the removal of the zip and had to
insert a little pleat below the back yolk to make things line up.
Sizing Details: I sewed a size J, but probably could have sized down.
I got this glorious ponte from Tessuti in Australia. I got a sample of this and a delicious chartreuse and eventually decided that this colour was perhaps more practical. In reality, I wish I’d bought both.
I’ve made 1 other version of this Lou Box Dress No.1 from SewDIY which is in my ‘rework this piece entirely’ box of unloved sews.
I don’t really fit in to the current size range of SewDIY, but I bought the pattern anyway (back when I was less stubborn than I am now).
While this version of the dress is fine, the previous version was uncomfortably tight where the drop-sleeve shoulder met the arm, it was far too short and it was also basically impossible for me to remove it without getting my arms trapped.
Sizing Details: I sewed the XL/XXL (for up to 50″ hip) and am wearing it here with a 54″ hip