I’d been thinking about buying some of this Australian floral printed fabric of Ellie Whittaker‘s from Spotlight’s upholstery fabric section to make this free wrap skirt from Peppermint Magazine for ages! When Spotlight had a sale, I didn’t hesitate to snap it up. But then it sat in my stash for a while and then I cut it out but didn’t sew it up, and then when I eventually sewed it up I realised that it didn’t really work with a single top that I own, so it languished in my wardrobe until today (a couple of days after this cropped white t-shirt arrived in the post)!
Size details: I’m a bit larger than the 54″ hip size for this pattern, but I cut the pasdttern as-is and used a slightly smaller seam allowance. The sizing difference means that the side-seams aren’t ‘true’ down the sides, but the generous overlap on the skirt means that it’s still difficult for me to flash the public (though not as difficult as it is in my wool version, which was utterly unaffected by breeze)! The only change I made to the pattern was lengthening the ties slightly.
Fabric estimate: I ordered 2.5 metres of this 150cm wide fabric and have a very decent amount leftover, but I did cut the pieces out paying absolutely no attention to pattern placement.
Grainline Studios has recently released their free Hemlock Tee pattern in their new extended size range! I’ve loved the style of the top, and now it’s available in my size! You can get the pattern for free by subscribing to the Grainline email newsletter (which you can do here).
Based on Grainline’s new size chart (below) I made a size 24 (I’m 47″bust and around 54″ hip), and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the size on the arms was quite generous, and meant that I could skip doing a full bicep adjustment!
I cut out the 3/4 sleeve length and the length of the body is halfway between the cropped & mid-length body in this gingernut viscose spandex from Fabric Drop, which is based out of Dunedin in New Zealand. With some pattern tetris, I was able to cut this out from about 1.5 metres (and I’ve got a decent piece leftover too). I usually cut all my patterns on the open (flipping the pattern piece over and tracing a mirror image), and then cut sleeves (and other things I need to cut 2 of) one at a time. Doing that here certainly made it a pretty economical pattern!
The 3/4 length sleeves ended up being almost bracelet length for me, because I have quite narrow shoulders and my measurements put me in between size 20 and 22 but I made a straight size 24. I’m happy with the length, but would do some measuring of the full length arm piece before sewing that as I suspect it would be quite long.
I realised after the fact that I had inadvertently sewed up something almost identical to the Grainline sample on the right!
I’ve been saving this gorgeous rayon from Drapers Fabric for the perfect project. I’m happy to say that I’m really pleased with the usage here, and I think I’ll have enough leftover for a summer shell top (maybe an Ashton from Helen’s Closet?)
We’re currently testing the Torrens Box Top for Muna & Broad. The pattern is out with our lovely testers and will be released in November! As always, sign up to the email list if you’d like to be kept up to date on the latest.
Size Details: I made the smallest size in this pattern. The neckline is drafted so that it doesn’t show bra-straps (even on my very narrow shoulders). Leila drafted the shoulder seams with some wizard tricks- this shirt doesn’t constantly shift back at the neckline so that it chokes you at numerous points during the day! The only change I made was to crop the shirt by turning the bottom up with two generous folds. I love a thick bottom hem, so that was perfect!
Recently the lovely Michelle from Matchpoint Fabric celebrated a birthday by having a sale and it was all the excuse I needed to order myself some of her silk noil fabric that I hadn’t been able to find closer to home! Although I’m pretty sure that I played a large part in her silk noil being currently sold out, I really would recommend keeping an eye out for when there’s some back in stock
When the fabric arrived (very quickly from Canada), I had a chance to feel my first silk noil! It was warm-to-the-touch, delightfully nubbled and the colour was a gorgeous dusty pink, which conveniently matches in quite well with most of my other me-mades.
I wanted to make this in to a cropped box top, which I could pair with high-waisted trousers, and after my success with the Eme Dress from StyleArc I decided that I would use the bodice piece and add a wide hem at the bottom. Of course, my ‘winging pattern hacking’ instead of drafting new pieces always gets quite out of hand so the insides definitely aren’t as gorgeous as the outsides, but I’ll be repeating this dress-as-a-top again soon!
Sketching the items out makes sure that I’m not making separates that don’t pair with anything else that I have, and also ensures that what I’m planning will look like I’m imagining it will, before I cut in to my fabric!
I’m amassing a collection of hacked Cashmerette Montrose Tops for workwear since I can now easily cut-out and sew one of these in about half a day. I’ve added neckline facings, which cuts down enormously on the time (I find bias binding to be a huge bummer).
Since I’ve done more imaginary sewing than actual sewing lately, I sketched out what I hoped I might be able to do with this picnic-table-esque cotton using my croquis from My Body Model App. Since I bought the fabric online I wasn’t 100% sure it would go well with the pants in real life but fortunately the colours worked fine together.
Having an inner facing has given me the perfect space to attach my Kylie & The Machine labels, and you can see that my handstitching isn’t getting tidier, but you’ll have to take me word for it that I’m getting a good rhythm going!