Brown striped Waikerie Dress

This is one of my 7 Waikerie Shirts and Waikerie Dresses that are in various states of completion- This dress has been sitting almost completed for quite a few months now and I finally put some buttons and button-holes on this tencel/linen stripe fabric.

I’ve made View B of the Waikerie Dress (with mitered corners and a high-low hem), and this is my first Waikerie Dress with short sleeves

Brown dress 6.5

It’s not quite warm enough here yet for me to be wearing only a dress- and Christchurch often has a chilly wind even in the middle of summer! I’m wearing the dress over some linen Glebe Pants, but could also see myself wearing it like a short-sleeve duster with a top (maybe a Nullarbor Cami or a knit-tank) on underneath. The dress has a high-low hem (which is a bit more clear on the final picture below), and for my taste I thin I’ll lengthen the front pieces for future versions so that it hits mid-calf. The length of the dress is perfect and exactly what I was hoping for!

Brown dress 3

Please excuse the popped collar in the picture below! Don’t you hate when you take a heap of photos and then realise that there was something sitting wrong the whole time!? I didn’t realise how wrong my collar was sitting until I got up close to the camera to show you how I changed the direction of the stripes so that I could skip any pattern matching stress that comes up when dealing with stripes! I also changed up the direction of the stripes on the sleeve band.

Size Details: I made Size E, graded out to Size F (I increased the size of the pleat in the back so that the Size F back piece matched up to the Size E yoke.

Brown dress

I love the generous pleat in the back of this dress, and the deep pockets, and I’m excited to finish up the many other Waikerie Work-In-Progress piles that are waiting for me in my sewing room!

Chartreuse linen Waikerie Dress

Waikerie Dress

This is my most recent make- a Waikerie Dress (in chartreuse linen from The Fabric Store) from the Waikerie Dress expansion pack which gives you the pieces to turn the Muna and Broad Waikerie Shirt into a shirt dress!

Often it’s pretty easy to see the ‘hacking possibilities’ of a pattern, but I often get stuck actually going through with the hack because I’m worried about getting the pattern hack right, I’m not sure how much fabric I’ll need, and I’m just generally worried about making a mess of the whole thing- I hate wasting fabric.

Waikerie Dress

The Waikerie Dress Expansion was the perfect way to solve those issues and give folks the instructions and pattern pieces they need to be able to make the Waikerie Shirt in to the Waikerie Dress. What I’ve made here is a modified View C, with long-sleeves and a collar. The hem has a modern-twist on the classic shirt hem and is higher at the front than at the back- I love the way it flows down.

Waikerie Dress

Size Details: Since the pattern is an expansion, it does require some of the Waikerie Shirt pieces to complete it. The Muna and Broad sizing has recently increased (additional smaller sizes were added) and a new lettering system for the sizes. Where I was previously a Size 1, I now cut out a Size F. Right now I have a 48″ full bust and between a 52-56″ hip, depending on bloating.

Fabric Details: I pride myself on being able to jigsaw my pattern pieces pretty tight, so I managed to get this dress out of less than 3 metres of fabric (which is 148cm wide). This includes two decent size pocket pieces (could have been cut from a lining fabric), and the facing, which wraps around the neckline and down the front of the dress. I did wish that I’d picked up some of the matching linen bias binding to help with finishing the curved hem, but I didn’t think of it when I was in store.

Waikerie Dress

I had a strangely difficult time finding buttons from my stash, both because I didn’t have enough of most of them, and because the colour was a difficult one to pair. I ended up using these cute wee wooden buttons, but I didn’t have enough for my cuffs (which remain button and buttonhole-free until I can find the right buttons to pair with the dress!

I’ve already cut out and mostly sewn View B with the mitered corners and a knee-high split, and I’m also thinking about a cosy cotton version for winter (or maybe a silk noil) if I can find the perfect fabric.